This homemade ice cream recipe makes great family summer memories. It also makes great ice cream!
2 cups of whipping cream
1 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
4 cups of strawberries, hulled, halved
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup of strawberry jam
- Roast strawberries for 30 minutes at 400°F until jammy.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add cream, milk, condensed milk, vanilla and roasted strawberries until bubbles form around the edges. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add egg yolks to a medium mixing bowl and whisk. Slowly stream strawberry cream into egg yolks, whisking constantly. When incorporated fully, add back to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until temperature reaches 160°F on a candy thermometer.
- Pour mixture into a clean bowl, let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then cover and put in the fridge and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Add mixture to an ice cream maker and churn for 5-10 minutes or until the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- Add to an ice cream tub or loaf pan, swirling jam throughout, and freeze for at least 8 hours.
- Scoop and enjoy!
Learn more about dairy in Prince Edward Island.