Bet you never thought to put cheese curds in your mac and cheese, did you? Talk about levelling up a classic!
1.5 Cups Macaroni Noodles
1 Bag Squeakies Cheese Curds
3 Larkin Farms Chorizo Turkey Sausages
3 strips of bacon, chopped
1 Medium sized Spanish Onion, diced
8 large Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
1.5 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Oz Milk
3 Oz White Wine
1/4 Cup Shredded Cheese
Salt and Pepper
Kick a classic up a notch with this mac and cheese recipe that packs a flavourful punch with great additives, including an Island favourite in Squeakies Cheese Curds!
*Italicized comments are Chef's Notes from recipe curator, Chef Lincoln Key.
- Boil pasta until it’s al-dente, or until it’s 95% of the way cooked. Remove from heat and cool. -
- In a saucepan, crumble the sausages and cook on medium heat. -
- Once the sausage is cooked, add the sliced bacon and cook to your desired crispiness. -
- Add onions and cook until translucent. -
- Add the mushrooms, and continue cooking. -
I used mushrooms because everyone in my house loves them, but you could also use peppers, or any other veggie that you want. The trick is just making sure they don’t overcook!
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the chopped garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds. -
- Add the wine and reduce for another 30 seconds. -
- Add heavy cream, milk, and shredded cheese. Reduce until it has a saucy consistency (Approximately 5 minutes). -
If it seems too thick, you can add a bit more milk, water, or broth.
- Add your pasta to the sauce. Cook until the noodles reach your desired texture. -
- Season to taste with salt and pepper -
- Crumble the cheese curds, and add them to the mac & cheese. -
I crumbled them to around the size of my fingertip, but it all depends on your personal preference. The cheesier, the better!
Learn more about dairy in Prince Edward Island.