Using the best quality milk and butter gets you the most lavish loaf of bread!
2 tablespoons + 1 ¾ cup of flour
1/3 cup + ½ cup + 1 tablespoon of milk
1/2 package of instant yeast
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/4 cup of butter
2 large eggs
Japanese Milk Bread uses a technique called tangzhong, which is cooking milk and flour together until it creates a paste. Adding this to the bread dough keeps the bread so moist and soft. Plus, the bread dough is enriched with island butter and milk, making it so delicious.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together 2 tablespoons of flour and 1/3 of a cup of milk until a thick paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, add remaining flour, ½ cup of warmed milk, yeast, sugar, tangzhong and 1 egg. Mix for 5-10 minutes with a dough hook, or mix until combined and knead for 5-10 minutes, slowly adding softened butter throughout until combined.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Remove dough and place on a floured surface. Divide dough into three even pieces, shape each into an oval, roll out and fold long sides into the middle. Flip over and place into greased loaf pan. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Whisk remaining egg and 1 tablespoon of milk in a small bowl and brush over dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. You'll know it is done when the top is golden and when you tap, it sounds hollow inside. Let cool slightly and remove from pan, then let cool completely before slicing.
Learn more about dairy in Prince Edward Island.